What will your This Girl Can story be?
This Girl Can has become one of the most successful sporting campaigns of recent times, getting women and girls back into fitness or trying something new.
It’s back again in 2017 and there will a special timetable of open days and tasters in Melton and the Vale of Belvoir during the week of June 5-11.
This Girl Can is a celebration of active women who are doing their thing no matter how well they do it, how they look or even how red their face gets.
Funded by The National Lottery and developed by Sport England, it wants to help women overcome the fear of judgement that is stopping too many women and girls from joining in. It’s all about persuading more women and girls to get active, whatever their age, size, background or ability.
It’s a highly interactive initiative, too, with participants encouraged to share their stories and post their pictures via social media to inspire others. You can even create your own This Girl Can poster using the campaign’s app.
The campaign website – www.thisgirlcan.co.uk – also includes a comprehensive A to Z of indoor and outdoor sports to tempt you to give it a go. Everything is listed, from Airkix and BurleX to Piloxing and Stoolball. (Not sure what they are? See the note at the end of this column**).
Locally the campaign is being coordinated by Melton Sport and Health Alliance in partnership with Leicester-Shire and Rutland Sport and you may recall the excellent video it produced last time round which you can watch at http://www.meltonsportandhealth.org.uk/
Here is a selection of the local activities on offer:-
Introduction to Lawn Bowls, Holwell Sports Bowls Club, Asfordby Hill, June 5, 2pm and June 9, 6.15pm, free
* RunFit, a coached session for improved running and general fitness, Long Clawson Village Hall, June 6, 6pm, £3
* Tennis, Melton Sports Village – girls aged 4-8 June 6, 4pm; girls 8-10, June 8, 4.30pm; girls 11-17 June 9, 5pm; women 16+, June 10, 1pm, all free
* Wildcats football for girls aged 5-11, have fun, make friends, play football, Asfordby Acres, June 7, 5pm, free
* Tennis Express, coaching for new players to improve their game quickly, Belvoir Vale Tennis Club, Hose, June 6, 6pm, free
* Ladies’ Tennis, a chance to play lots of doubles, Belvoir Vale Tennis Club, Hose, June 7, 9.30am, free
* Kickboxing, with double world champion Emmadee Fox (pictured), great for fitness, toning and confidence, Melton Toy Soldiers’ Band Room, June 7, 6.30pm, free
* Social Netball, relaxed, fun, social games, Old Dalby Primary School, June 8, 6.45pm, free taster
* Women’s Golf Day, nine or 18 holes, Sysonby Acres, Asfordby Road, June 6, free
* Get into Golf, one hour lesson with a PGA professional, Melton Mowbray Golf Club, June 10, 10.30am, £5
* Introduction to Angling, starter session covering tackle, bait, landing and safe handling of fish, Lakeview
Fishery, June 10, 1pm and 2.30pm, £2
* Bowls open day, Melton Indoor Bowls Club, June 10, 10am-2pm, free
** Airkix is indoor skydiving; BurleX is a fitness workout based on Burlesque-style dance routines; Piloxing blends the power, speed and agility of boxing with the targeted sculpting and flexibility of pilates; and Stoolball is a cross between rounders and Twenty20 cricket with underarm bowling and no need for protective equipment.